A pair of custom-made, aspheric lenses. Together, they can be used to create a high-quality optical eyepiece for VR applications. A dual element design provides significantly better image than a typical single-element asphere. This can be seen in the item's images. Geometric distortion is much lower. Focus is much clearer towards the edge of the image. Color aberration is minimized.
The design is optimized for 5.5" screens, though it can also be used with screens that are slightly larger or smaller.
These high-quality optics are used in the OSVR HDK version 1.2
For a complete VR HMD, two such eyepieces (qty 2 of this listing) are required. Each eyepiece images one half of the screen and provides the following key specifications:
- Horizontal field of view: 90°
- Focal length: 35mm
- TTL (distance from screen to the optical surface closest to the eye): 41mm
- Total weight (optical elements): 17.4 grams
- Diameter: 32.4mm (lens 1), 43.2mm (lens 2)
- Eye relief: 13mm
- Eye box: 11mm
- Ability to compensate for diopter by moving both elements closer or farther from the screen (see layout diagram in images)
- -13.5% monotonic geometric distortion
Material: lightweight optical-grade plastic. One lens is molded from Zeonex F52R and the other is molded from Polystyrene.
These lenses have also been described on the RoadToVR blog: the dual-element optics of the OSVR HDK
- This item includes lenses with or without housing. If you purchase the lenses without the housing, you will want to place the lenses at appropriate distances according to the layout diagram
- It does not include a screen, motion tracker, face mask, housing, electronics, or any other component required to build an HMD
- To construct a binocular solution, you will need qty 2 of this item